Wednesday, April 9, 2008

How I Feel

This is how I feel lately: like I'm juggling a lot of different responsibilities and projects and not doing any of them very well. Just when I start to get control of a project, I toss another into the mix.

I'll share the past couple of days as evidence: Greg is out of town but I had to get to the office to to prepare K-1's to be sent out to the investors. To acquire the tax returns I met our accountant in the parking lot of Bed, Bath & Beyond. I chose the location because I had 3 coupons for the store and wanted to use them on a couple of things I wanted.

So, with Katherine in tow, I went out to the office to prepare the mailing and to work on some smaller projects. We then had to take checks to the bank and make a stop at the post office to mail the K-1's. I also had to mail out 12 DVD's I sold for my mom on Amazon. We were close to Kimberly's house, so we dropped by for a short visit.

I made homemade macaroni and cheese but used mini shells as the pasta. It was really good, but Katherine refused to eat it because she was convinced legs would emerge from the shells and walk away. Thanks a lot Tifani! Now my daughter is convinced all shells have legs that may or may not fall off.

Since dinner was a bust, I decided to be crafty for family home evening. I cut out a pre-colored lesson and activity kit to laminate on the Xyron 1200 that was delivered that day. I was so excited to use the machine, I skipped a step and ruined the whole project. I couldn't go to bed without trying to do one of the projects correctly and thus redeeming myself. It worked, but now I have to scrape layers of spray adhesive off my granite countertops.

This morning we rushed to get to pre-school and the office. We actually made it on time, but I forgot to eat breakfast and only had a Diet Pepsi so I had the jitters for hours. I picked up Katherine from school where I learned she has been telling her teacher about her horse named "Eston." This is an imaginary horse who lives with Grandpa's horses. Next we washed the layers of dirt from our black car, drove out into a rainstorm, picked up prescriptions and then dropped off Katherine at my mom's.

When I arrived at my nail appointment, I was told that the manicurist was home sick and that a message was on my home phone-that phone I never use because I'm never home! So, I thought I would take used books to Hastings to turn in for credit and then hit Michael's craft store next door.

I haven't been into Michael's in a very long time, but decided to go to get supplies I'll need for the new group I joined: a card exchange group. While there I ran into my friend who invited me to join and our mutual friend. So, naturally, a 20 minute trip to Michaels turned into nearly 90 minutes. This group is stressful to me because I have to be creative AND make the cards.

Katherine was having so much fun at mom's so we stayed for a while. They were thrilled to have the trampoline up at last. It was time to leave when Katherine and Haylie began fighting about who owns the rights to the "Hokie Pokie." The argument ended with Katherine throwing a plastic monkey at Haylie's head. Play time OVER!

Too lazy to make dinner, I opted to get a $5 deal at Subway, where I ran into another friend from my old neighborhood. Standing out in the cold, talking, I decided I really wanted to just go home to my house filled with unfinished projects. There are the bins of winter clothes to go to the basement, half finished laundry piles, stake conference music folders in the corner, ebay piles under the grand piano, fabric laying out to be fitted for window treatments, wood pieces to be spray painted, ETC.

I have a problem of taking and embracing too many projects and not finishing very many of them. Sometimes I think I avoid being home so that I don't have to face the facts and just get things done. Maybe my perfectionism gets in the way? Who knows. . . At least I have a nice purple Aura (see below). Which reminds me, I need to paint the "Feminine Floral Retreat" (scrap/treadmill room) its two shades of purple. Once I'm nestled in my purple room, my aura will be at peace and I can be at peace. And so I sign off now to be at peaceful sleep as the Ambien kicked in during the first paragraph.

3 comments:

Larsens said...

Holy cow, woman! I'm totally exhausted. All I accomplished yesterday was getting an hour massage and swimming with Alex and Carsen so I can prepare Carsen for snorkeling in Maui.
But the question is...what did you buy when you were in Ambien induced sleep? You will not find out until the UPS guy delivers it to your door, I bet.
Why do projects, I mean seriously, it is a lot better to lay on the bed and watch TV than worry about unfinished projects. That's how I deal with them, as you have noticed when you come for a visit.

Sant Family said...

I am honored to have made it on your list of things to do and that we got to eat breakfast together!

And guess what?! I didn't get sick!

Lets do it again, soon! With all that you have going on (and you didn't even mention the Stake Pageant) you will need sustenance.

Michelle said...

i'm pooped from reading this! i need a nap...

love,
missy