Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Kristine Show

So, today was Stake Conference and along with it the culmination of my assignments as stake music chair. It went like this:

I had to wake up at 6 a.m. to get ready to go to the church and get Katherine's hair in rollers, gather up all of the choir music, my violin, quiet bag for Kat, etc. I walked into the church just after 8 a.m. where I found most of the choir seats already filled and I had to madly pass out music, tune my violin and take care of other small matters.

In addition to singing with the choir and playing the violin obbligato for the special musical number, I was asked to lead the congregational hymns. I very much dislike leading music in front of big groups but felt a little more at ease wearing my new gorgeous white and black dress plus fabulous red heels.

When the two hour meeting, two congregational hymns and three choir numbers plus violin were over, I felt good, pleased, relaxed. Well, that is until I found out that because I was sitting behind the podium, I was "the show" of the live feed into other rooms in the building as well as another building. Of course it was on a JUMBO SCREEN. I had no idea until so many people started commenting on how funny it was when I was digging through my purse for a cough drop which I dropped onto my lap after unwrapping.

We had brunch after church with neighbors and other friends from our ward and of course they were all laughing about how everyone was watching me throughout the conference, closing my eyes (remember I got up at 6 a.m.), flipping through my day planner, taking my shoes on and off, wiping my nose, etc. And here I thought it was awful that I was so noticeable because of leading the music and being in the choir. I didn't know it really was "The Kristine Show!"

5 comments:

Sant Family said...

You looked SMASHING!!! And I LOVED the red shoes! That just said it all. I heard so many people say that was the best choir they had heard in years! Many people commented on the MONTHS of practice it must have taken to achieve that kind of sound.

You WERE the show because you were in charge of the music and it was fantastic! I got goosebumps.

Kristine said...

You are too kind, and I'm glad to hear good comments about the music since we only had a month after the regional choir fell apart.

Your talk was my favorite--you're a fantastic speaker, Tifani!

Larsens said...

Red shoes, huh! Where is the picture of your ensemble?
I would have paid to see that show.

Reno 411 said...

I am sure it's not as bad as you make is sound.
At least it sounds like you looked fabulous doing "your show". I would like to see the outfit. Tifani commented on the choir sounding amazing. Kudos to you.

gstevenson said...

Doesn't your husband do anything to help out at home or do anything at church while you do everything for Stake Conference...he sounds like quite the schmuck!