Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hoar Frost

Because of the bitter cold weather, the trees are covered with hoar frost. It is a serene drive through the tree lined road up the mountain to our house as the pine trees are blanketed in white. The scenery looks unreal, appearing dream-like. Looking out at the pines and aspens in my backyard, their branches seem to be covered with fluffy, white mittens. It is a beautiful sight and one of the reasons I can tolerate this cold and foggy weather.
These are some trees at a house in our neighborhood. I wanted to get a better picture, but I 1) forgot the long lense and 2) was too cold to actually venture out of the car and into the deep snow to get a picture.

2 comments:

Sant Family said...

It really has been beautiful! I didn't know this was a "hoar frost". I had heard the term "hoar frost" before but thought that "hoar" was spelled differently and I was unclear on what, exactly, a "hoar frost" could possibly be ...

Larsens said...

Very beautiful. Rod called me about a week ago on the way to work on Geneva and told me to get my camera and go take some pictures by the lake because it was so beautiful with hoar frost etc. I didn't go because it was so cold outside.