Sunday, December 9, 2007

Beginning a Tradition

Since purchasing the tickets several months ago, I have been looking forward to taking Katherine to The Nutcracker for the first time.


Preparing to leave the house was a huge production. Not only did we have to get Katherine dressed and coifed, but Nellie (the doll), too. I found this adorable black velvet and gold dress with matching doll dress at TJ Maxx about 3 months ago and thought it perfect as Kat's Christmas dress. Poor Greg was enlisted to change Nellie's clothes. (If you're wondering why there is a little mattress on the floor of our bedroom, know that it is phase 1 of getting Katherine out of our bed and into her own room.)
At the theatre, Katherine was adorable in her curls, holding her doll with matching dress and black velvet gloves that she couldn't stop chewing on. Katherine was mesmerized by the production and was particularly concerned about the Rat King being killed. Our seats were on the second row in the center so we could view all of the dancers very well. I think sitting so close helped to keep Katherine's attention. She was very well behaved and very courteous to speak only in a whisper.

The beginning of a beautiful Christmastime tradition.

P.S. Please notice the fish on the Christmas tree just to the right of my head. This is the ornament Katherine picked as her ornament of the year. I tried to steer her toward a Santa or a fairy princess, but she wanted the fish.

3 comments:

Sant Family said...

I love that Greg is the doll-dresser. That is such a sweet picture.

Love, Tif

Larsens said...

That is a great tradition. That's what we did when Alex was young. Oh wait, we didn't take him, or did we???I can't remember. Well, at least I've seen Nutcracker many, many times. It is always so good.
When Greg was dressing that doll, were there any chosen words said?

Reno 411 said...

Way to dress the doll, Greg! I love the fish on the Christmas tree. I am sure my kids will pick funky ornaments too. It's part of being a kid. That is a fun tradition for you to start. I wanted to take Hannah because it will be here in Reno on the 21st and she has no interest.:(