Friday, December 14, 2007

A Sheep's Dream Book Review

My mom knew the "Crazy" (as they were referred to) LeBaron clan being raised in the Mormon Colonies in Mexico and Dr. Hatch's sav was slathered on my wounds as a child. Consequently, I was very interested to read this book as I felt familiar with the characters. In the beginning I was absorbed by the topic of polygamy, with all of its mystery and stigma, but that curiosity wore off. The details of the family's poverty and plight were exhausting and after a while I didn't care. By the end of the book I had no sympathy for this woman who took little responsibility for her choices. Throughout the book she tries to convince the reader that she was of strong character, remarkable will, but if she truly were, she would have left the clan and stood up for herself. Hardly a heroine, Irene was pathetic because she chose plural marriage as the fast-track, easy route to heaven. What's more, she really didn't understand the gospel she supposedly was following and the epilogue proves that. It doesn't seem that she ever attempted to learn the truth of Mormonism, but instead believed anything she was told, every falsehood. As a Mormon, I found that the most offensive aspect: her sheeplike character.

No comments: