Sunday, December 16, 2007

Favorite Family Picture

This family picture hung on a wall in our home while I was growing up. I adore this picture of my young parents. Obviously being the baby in the picture, I have no memories of this event, but I have often wondered what my parents thought and hoped for at that time in their lives. Is it a lot of the same things I hope for and dream about for my daughter? Katherine, by the way, thought that I was my mom when I showed her this picture. I do see myself in her, in more ways than physical. For example, only the offspring of Arlene Komm would be sewing nativity costumes in the two weeks before Christmas. In 1971, wearing her perfect helmet hairdo, did she ever think or hope her daughter would grow up to be so much like her in many ways?

2 comments:

Sant Family said...

Sewing the Nativity costumes? Been there, done that.
Now the kids have outgrown them.

Bummer.

I need to do it all again. I found some patterns on Ebay, if you didn't just invent them out of that genius head of yours.

I love your mom's hair in that picture! How on earth did she manage to get her hair that perfectly symmetrical AND get her kids ready, too.

Oh yeah, she is Arlene Komm. She is all that and a bag of fritos!

You have a great mom!

Love, Tif

Larsens said...

Arlene=Kristine. You ARE your mom in so many ways. From the distance, you look exactly like her (except the height). Your skills are like hers. She should, and I know she is, proud of you that she has taught you the things that she knows. She is still my favorite cook. Nobody can beat her at bisquits and roast. I love that woman! and I love you!

I love the helmet hair. It is perfect like Arlene.