Sunday, December 16, 2007

A Christmas Kindness

After dropping off our UPS Christmas packages, Katherine and I went into the Rite Aid to pick out a couple of Christmas cards for her relatives living in other states. While we were looking for a card, a woman who was also looking at cards had her cart parked right in front of the Christmas selection. I talked loudly with Katherine about the kind of cards we were looking for, hoping the woman would get the hint for her to move out of the way. She didn't and so we settled for two generic cards.

Then we picked up a couple of other items and went to the cash register to find ourselves behind this same woman again. I thought, "Great, this is going to take forever!" When she was finished with her complicated purchases (were all of the Santa lights the same colors???), she turned to me and asked if Katherine would like to have the little stuffed moose she had received as a gift with purchase. I said, yes, and that it was very kind of her to notice us and to share. I instructed Katherine to tell the woman thank you and to wish her a Merry Christmas.

Immediately I felt guilty for being annoyed with her at the card aisle and then I started to think her charity for us was related to our disheveled appearance. I had no make-up on and Katherine had been dressed by Greg, which means NO COAT. (Remember: he is the crazy guy in the neighborhood known for shoveling snow with shorts and crocs on.) Anyway, my first thoughts were not what they should have been. I should have thought of this woman's kindess and her example of Christian charity.

The experience made me very happy, but it made Katherine confused. All the way home she asked, "Why her give the moose to me, mommy? Why, why, why? Mommy, tell me why her give it to me!" So, during the drive all the way up our hill we had a conversation about kindness and the example Jesus set for us. We explored ways that we can show kindness to others. I'm glad I had that nice teaching moment because what came next was a temper tantrum containing all or many of the following catchphrases: glass slippers, Sponge Bob, my feet itch, Cinderella dress, not like that, chocolate milk, bebe, etc.

2 comments:

Sant Family said...

Yesterday in WalMart toy aisle, I was stuck behind a couple who were looking at toys and hogging the aisle. Then, I turned and I was stuck by three people behind. Forward is the only way out. The man said to his wife, "Oh, let's get skinny, we are filling up the aisle" She replied, "We aren't, it's called shopping." And she didn't move. I got through only because her husband pushed her in (gently) on her back. She was annoyed.

I ALMOST said, "It's called being polite."

She didn't offer me anything at checkout.

I love your desription of the melt down, very hilarious.


What? Wouldn't your shopping experience be better without an extra person there?

Larsens said...

How hilarious! I've seen you and Kat without make-up and coats, and you still look lovely. But that's funny about the temper tantrum. I can hear her say all of those things.
Shopping hint! Don't take your Ambien, and go shopping in the middle of the night...no lines, but very strange looking people around.