Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Possibly Potential Picasso

My latest drama is the great "Pull Katherine out of Northview Christian School Pre-school." I was not impressed with her sick teacher's permanent replacement; she had no experience and little education. Because we had such a wonderful experience and a caring, capable teacher last year, I felt loyal to Northview. But I flipped out when it was I who finally had to introduce myself to the new teacher who stood timidly in the corner and for 3 days neither greeted us or said goodbye. I immediately marched into the director's office, expressed my concerns that I didn't want a formative year of my daughter's life be an experimental one for the school or Mrs. Shelly. Long story short: this pitbull mom got the cash refund and the crayons (supplies) back.

So, now Katherine was a "free agent" and could go to Jolinda's pre-school, where I would have liked her to attend in the first place (my friend was possibly moving again and couldn't commit until September). My friend from college, Jolinda, served a mission in Ireland when I was in Germany. We wrote and kept in touch until after she was married. How surprised was I to discover she was in the ward I moved into when we built the "too big" house. We both sold our big houses at the same time and now live in the same neighborhood a couple of streets away from each other. Jolinda is one of those rare people who is ultra-creative AND goes the extra mile on everything she endeavors.

So, Katherine is in her element with Jolinda and it's going to be a great year. After her first day, Leslie asked her what she thought of her school and Katherine responded, "Fabulous!" Jolinda is so great and wants Katherine's school notebook to be complete and to bring her up to speed. This means we have a lot of homework to do and it's been fun things like recording her hand and footprints. This is the picture she drew of herself and it is not just funny, it explains a lot about Katherine's personality: The purple egg is her as a mommy, pink baby in the tummy and the pink baby sister at the side. Interesting items of note are the lungs, heart and snot coming out of the mommy nose--appropriate since Kat has had a cold.

4 comments:

Larsens said...

Good for you for pulling her out when the school didn't reach its promises. I'm sure Kat is so happy now with Jolinda.
The picture is so funny, and really tells a lot about Kat's creative thinking.

PartyOfFour said...

That work of art is awesome!

Allison said...

HI there! She's comparable with some of my 2nd graders. Really.

Sant Family said...

Okay, I totally commented like four stinkin' paragraphs, clicked on submit (on the day you posted) and then closed the window and it didn't take!

Dang it!

I just don't have the energy to redo it.

In short, I love the way CoCo thinks! I am glad you are with Jolinda. I LOVE her art! She is so smart - you can tell by how detailed their pictures are.

I just realized that Allison is Allison Pugh. Too cute!