Friday, October 31, 2008

"But I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. . ."

Yesterday I ventured to the mall to make some returns. My first stop was Gymboree and it was all going well, returning my items and then I saw a very cute black furry coat. There were two ladies helping me (one was in training) and I asked the trainer to check the back room for a size 5. While she was in the back the trainee started acting strangely. She bent over the counter, swayed back and forth and then suddenly began trembling violently. Within seconds the poor girl fell backwards, just missing hitting her head on the counter.

I rushed to her side, afraid she may be having a seizure. Fortunately the shaking had stopped once she landed on the floor and it seemed she had only fainted. I was the only customer in the store and yelled toward the back room for help. Then I stepped into the "But I slept at a Holiday Inn last night" mode (as Mike called it) and began trying to take care of the girl, asking questions, getting information, comforting and reassuring her. The poor thing was so embarassed to faint on her first day, as we all would be.

Not that I'm ready to go work in an ER, but I was amazed at how calm and in control I was.
I never did find out if there was a size 5 in the coat.

3 comments:

Sant Family said...

Way to go! You ARE a life saver! I am sure the fainteress was so glad to have someone calm and in control to help her. Remind me to tell you about the broken ankle at the choir retreat.

And I bet the black furry coat would have been fabulous!

Larsens said...

I think you should go back and demand that you receive the size 5 coat for free. That's the least they could do. You are their best customer, after all.

houseofhud said...

The poor girl. I didn't know that working retail at a children's clothing store could be so stressful!!!