Sunday, November 11, 2007

Better Than Pumpkin Pie Dessert

My sister, Kimberly, came up with the name as we sat around my kitchen table this afternoon sharing the dessert I made for Sunday dinner. And, in my opinion, it really is better than pumpkin pie! If you're in the mood to jumpstart Thanksgiving but don't want the hassle of making pie crusts, this is a great option. Here's the recipe:

MIX TOGETHER:
1 large can (29 oz.) pumpkin
4 eggs
12 oz. evaporated milk
2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. sugar

Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle 1 pkg. yellow cake mix over mixture and drizzle 1 cup melted butter or margarine (yes, 1 cup a'buttah) on top. Chopped pecans on top are also an option. Bake for 50-55 minutes at 350 degrees or until browned on top and no longer jiggling. Allow to cool after baking and top with whipped cream.

My dad absolutely loved this dessert and had a huge second helping. It's an Autumn winner!

5 comments:

Marja's Recipes said...

Sounds delicious. I'll make it this week...maybe when Rod's in Canada and Alex is at scout campout. Me and the cake home alone. Oh my!

Reno 411 said...

YUM! I am totally trying this.

Reno 411 said...

I made this for FHE. So delicious!

Michelle said...

this sounds wonderful! my alabama sis-in-law is on "pumpkin pie duty" for next week, but i'm putting this recipe in the arsenal for december! by the way, i'm making your german brat dinner for derek and his sisters (plus spouses) the night before thanksgiving. thanks for the authentic recipe!

missy

Marja's Recipes said...

I made it yesterday. I had Alex and 3 girls in my house drooling over the cake while it baked. They liked it, and we liked it. So delicious, and so fast to make.