Friday, November 2, 2007

Who Do You Want to See Again?

Recently a friend and I had a discussion about who we would like to meet in the next life. She commented that it would be exciting to meet Joseph and Emma Smith and other popular figures in history. I responded that I didn't think about meeting well-known people as much as I am looking forward to seeing my loved ones again. Particularly, the reunion with my grandparents will be sweet.



My grandma, Doris Komm, passed away three years ago today. She was a lovely, ladylike woman who also dressed nicely and accessorized perfectly. I remember her mini beaded purses she carried to church that were always filled with gum like Big Red or Juicy Fruit. I remember playing dress-ups with her older clothes and fabulous hats. Her skin was as flawless as a porcelain doll's as she always wore a hat and gloves to garden. Their little white house on the main street of Cardston, Alberta, Canada,was easy to spot with its beautiful abundance of flowers in the gardens. Flowers from their gardens adorned the chapel every Sunday in the spring and summer. I treasure the dresses and sweaters she knitted for me knowing she sat for hours, working, and thinking about me. Many hours were spent playing Rook together while drinking her homemade rootbeer and eating layered chocolate cake or donut holes. This is one of my favorite pictures: Grandma bathing me in the pink bathroom that never changed. We still have the pink tub.
I always admired and respected Grandma Komm, but I don't think I fully appreciated and understood her. She was from a simpler era and lead a unique life. She endured the loss of a child and I'm sure that changed her more than I could ever realize. Also, Grandma never sang, even the hymns in church, because in her youth someone told her she was tone deaf. I wonder if she will sing with me in heaven?

3 comments:

Sant Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Reno 411 said...

I love reading about your Grandma Komm. She sounds like an amazing woman.

Marja's Recipes said...

That was such a nice dedication to your grandma. Us being fortunate enough to meet her, I agree she was a wonderful lady and so put together always. Grandpa Komm was one of a kind. I will never forget him when he sat on the couch at the cabin and sang so beautifully. I loved his stories too.