Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Delicious Deutsche Dinner! Jawohl!

When the air is crisp and the leaves are falling, I start craving German food. This is what I made for dinner and it was delicious:

Cut 6 brats into 3 inch pieces and brown in fry pan. Place in bottom of crock pot. Add sliced onion and teaspoon minced garlic to fry pan. When onions become just translucent add 1/2 cup white cooking wine and bring to boil. Pour onto brats.

To crockpot add 4 cups cubed red potatoes, 4 cups carrots, 1 can chicken broth. For seasoning add teaspoon black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed. On top, layer 2 cups of drained sauerkraut. Cook on low 6-7 hours or until vegetables are tender and brats no longer pink. I had stoneground mustard on the side for extra flavor to the brats.

I made homemade applesauce as a side and it was so good. If you've never made your own, try it! This is how I did it: 5 Jonagold and 4 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and diced. Put in pot with 1 cup water and 1/3 to 2/3 cups sugar plus 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Bring to a boil for 8-10 minutes. You can use a potato masher for chunkier sauce or, as I did, put it in a food processor until smooth. My family loved it!

3 comments:

Marja's Recipes said...

I want to try both recipes. Can you do me a favor. Can you start another blog and put all your recipes there.

Reno 411 said...

Those sound so good. It made my mouth water just reading it. I agree with marja start a blog with just your yummy recipes. Then we can all benefit.

Marja's Recipes said...

This is cooking as I type. Can't wait to get home tonight to try it before going to the theatre. I'm even going to make the applesauce.